Saturday, September 3, 2011

Day 9: My Left Foot

Yesterday, after the trip to the doctor, my feet were in quite a bit of pain. By the evening, my right foot felt fine but my left foot, man it hurt. It was throbbing even while it was elevated. When I scooted to the bathroom, every time that boot touched the floor, pain would shoot right through to the outside of my left foot. It sucked. By morning, however, the pain gap between the two feet had reduced significantly. So today was a lot easier, peeing wasn't something I dreaded, and I could get in and out of my wheelchair easily. Without any pain, (or very minimal at least) these huge boots aren't so bad.

I am still elevating my feet almost constantly. Every time I am sitting or lying down my feet are elevated. The only time I am not elevating my feet, is when I am on the move in my wheelchair. Feeling quite all right in the feet, I went out on the front porch a few times with Freddy, I folded some laundry, and I even vacuumed the apartment. All the while, my feet felt fine. Minor throbbing, but that is it.

I am still icing my feet, but only twice a day for 15 minutes each time (doctor's orders). Before I had the surgery I bought 2 Cryo-Max Cold Packs. After the surgery, Mikey went out and bought 2 more, so I could have constant ice. While my feet were in the pseudo casts, I just kept them on all the time. When they got warm, I would switch them with the ones in the freezer. They suggest on the box not to use longer than 20 minutes because of frost bite, but those pseudo casts were so thick that not much cold was penetrating, so I just kept them on. Because I left them on all the time, they got hotter faster. For me, they stayed cold for about 4 hours, which is also about how long they took to freeze completely. They worked pretty well. They're a little pricey at $16 each, but for me they were worth it.

I got my feet wet tonight. I had a good little set up in the shower: I sat on my shower chair, and propped my bare feet up on a milk crate so I could better scrub all that iodine off. It was all over, up my legs, on the bottoms of my feet, on my toenails. I had to call Mikey in to see if I got it all off because I am pretty blind without my glasses. He helped me get my little toes, and that was that. They don't look much different, just less yellow, and more blue. All the swelling that was there after the bandages came off yesterday, is completely gone. I was going to take a picture, but the batteries in the camera were dead. While they were charging, I stimulated my bones and iced my feet, and then wrapped them up, forgetting that I needed to take a photo. Tomorrow I'll take one.

No comments:

Post a Comment